Vigilante Justice: Necklacing Returns to South Africa

On May 19, vigilantes killed eight suspected criminals in the Johannesburg suburb of Zandspruit, some by necklacing. The killers put car tires around the victim, filled them with gasoline and set them on fire. This was the ANC’s preferred method of execution when it was fighting apartheid. It may take as long as 20 minutes to die.

This incident has been reported in South Africa, but so far as we can tell, no foreign media have taken notice of it. A number of gruesome cell phone videos have circulated privately in South Africa. Here is one of a preliminary beating the vigilantes gave a victim before killing him. We have also included a still image from a video of the executions. Note the tires piled up in the background.

Vigilante killings are common in South Africa because crime is widespread and the police are often ineffective. Last year there were 903 reported cases.

necklacing in South Africa

What follows is the fullest account of the Zandspruit incident we have been able to find.

‘No one deserves such a brutal and horrible death’: Zandspruit’s mob justice bloodbath
Manyane Manyane, IOL News, May 23, 2021

Johannesburg – Gory images of the remains of eight men lying with their hands tied behind their backs with rope while their bodies are charred beyond recognition have once more highlighted the horrors of vigilantism or mob justice in some townships and informal settlements.

The eight victims found in an open field in Honeydew informal settlement, known as Zandspruit, Joburg this week will drastically increase the 903 number of people already murdered as a result of vigilantism in the last year in South Africa, according to the Institute for Security Studies (ISS) figures supplied by the head of justice and violence Gareth Newham.

Witnesses have alleged that some members of the community rounded up suspects by beating one after another and forcing them to point out their fellow gang members. The men were then frogmarched to the open field where one resident described a heart-wrenching scene where they were beaten up with everything at the hands of the mob, including stones, sjamboks and hacked with axes and other dangerous objects while they were lying on the ground.

“It was horrible. They were bleeding and screaming for help while being dragged to the soccer field. The group was actually looking for 12 boys, three of whom managed to escape,” said a man who seemed unaffected by what he saw.

In the aftermath of the rage and mob justice, eight men succumbed to the injuries – four at the scene while another four died in hospital. The survivor is alleged to have been saved after pleading for his hands to be cut rather, is fighting for his life after he suffered burns on both arms.

On Friday, when the Sunday Independent arrived at the scene where four of the victims are said to have died, we found a pair of burnt boots and a blanket – reminders of the gruesome killings earlier.

Flies were buzzing on top of what was left of human waste, burnt and formed into a crust on the ground next to the burnt boots and pieces of clothing.

One of the resident at the scene, Sphamandla Dludlu, said although he doesn’t condone what happened, these boys were very problematic. “This has been going on for a while now. There are lots of these boys, from different groups. These boys terrorised the community. My friend was killed by one of these groups called “Tripple O” in 2019,” he said.

He said one of the reasons that led to the community taking the law into their hands was the police’s lack of response to crimes.

“We report criminal activities to the police, but they sometimes tell us that there are no vehicles to attend to our complaints. Even those who killed my friend are out there enjoying their lives. We were told that an investigator who was dealing with the case has been transferred to Mpumalanga and that the dockets were missing. Now the community is fed up and opted to deal with these boys on their own,” he said.

His sentiments were echoed by Sandile Ntshingila, another resident who said the incident was caused by the failure of the police to do their job.

“Crime is rife in this area, and when we report to the police they don’t come. You can’t walk around at night and in the early hours of the morning. A week ago, a woman was robbed of her belongings on her way to the taxi rank. The police and the government have failed to deal with crime and people are now tired.”

But a man named Sylvester said the incident could have been avoided if police were responsible.

“Although I don’t promote acts of vigilantism, I think people are fed up with crime now. They felt enough was enough and that they needed to stop these boys. They found a solution to this, but a wrong one. Maybe they thought it was a good thing at that time. This wouldn’t happen if the police responded to complaints”.

However, Makitlane Lebina was outraged and said the incident should be condemned.

‘What happened on Wednesday is disgusting and should be condemned. No one deserves such brutal and horrible death,” he said.

The mother of one of the victims Jeminah Tshabalala said it was painful that her son, Lucky (32), was killed in such a gruesome manner.

“I received a call that my son has been attacked by a mob. When I got there, I was told that my son was dead at the scene. I was hurt. This is very painful. Although he was addicted to drugs, my son was a very good person and wanted to take care of his family. I never thought he would die like this. At least they should have called the parents and police. I am still asking myself why my son was killed,” said the 55-year-old.

“Seeing my brother (Abel Seape) at the morgue was painful. I know his friends were into drugs, but I was not aware if he was also addicted,” said another victim’s sibling.

On Friday, Gauteng police spokesperson Kay Makhubele said three more suspects were arrested for the murders, bringing the number to six.

Yesterday, Police Minister Bheki Cele addressed the community, where he admitted that the police in the area were not doing their jobs properly.

Cele admitted to those gathered at scene of the crime – the soccer field – to listen to him that there were about 500 reported cases of robberies, theft, rape and drug-dealing in the area that the police have failed to solve.

He also promised the residents that he will be dealing with police corruption first and may remove some police in the process while urging them to come forward in a week or so to re-open the charges.

According to Newham, the scourge of vigilantism occurs where there are ambitious local leaders who need to assert their authority in the community. He said these leaders believe that this can be achieved through dealing with those seen as responsible for local crime problems through vigilante action.

“Often in these communities, there are low levels of trust in the police and a sense the police do not effectively serve their safety needs. This can be because the local police are under-resourced and cannot adequately respond to the local crime challenges.

“Or there may be corrupt police officials who take bribes from criminal elements, particularly those involved in illicit activities such illegal gambling, sale of alcohol or drugs. Or, the police may be seen as disinterested in servicing the community when they report crimes”.

In 2020, Honeydew residents, which is a suburb of Zandspruit, reported 10 214 serious crime cases, including 354 cases of common robbery, 341 of robbery at residential premises and 183 sexual offences.

The post Vigilante Justice: Necklacing Returns to South Africa appeared first on American Renaissance.

This content is courtesy of, and owned and copyrighted by, https://www.amren.com and its author. This content is made available by use of the public RSS feed offered by the host site and is used for educational purposes only. If you are the author or represent the host site and would like this content removed now and in the future, please contact USSANews.com using the email address in the Contact page found in the website menu.

How a 13-year-old boy lost his life after leaving home to mine in galamsey pit

The Breman community in the Upper Denkyira West District of the Central Region was thrown into a state of mourning after a mining pit collapsed and killed three persons.  

Yaa Asantewaa’s 13-year-old son, Fabatia, was among the dead.https://www.youtube.com/embed/GaWI2BX2-N8

One would wonder where a 10-year-old was going to do in a galamsey pit at that ungodly hour.  His mother, Yaa Asantewaa weeps uncontrollably, as she narrates how her son took part in the galamsey activity that eventually killed him.

How a 13-year-old boy lost his life after leaving home to mine in galamsey pit

“Yesterday, he told me that he was going to engage in galamsey, and I told him he should not go because it is dangerous out there.  I told him to stop so we could find an alternative means of getting what we would eat.”

According to Yaa Asantewaa, the child replied, “Maa, you are a nursing mother; I need to fend for you and the child so we all could get something to eat upon my return. And so, my son left.”

She continues, “I was here when they told me that my son was dead. My son should have listened to me, so if it were even stones, we would have cooked to eat like that.”

When asked about the husband’s whereabouts, she said the husband was sick and has been taken somewhere and so there’s no help from anywhere.

How a 13-year-old boy lost his life after leaving home to mine in galamsey pit

She tears up again: “I have not been able to see the body of my son. This is a day I will never forget in my entire life.”  

Yaa is calling for support from anyone to enable the family to survive the traumatic experience.

The assemblyman for the area, Francis Agyapong, says he was surprised to hear that some people were back to the pit to mine.

He says, as of last week, when he went patrolling the mining areas, there was no sign of anybody in the mine, and so it comes to him as a shock.

How a 13-year-old boy lost his life after leaving home to mine in galamsey pit

https://youtu.be/GaWI2BX2-N8

“As a result of the Operation Halt and Vanguard, everyone has disabled their machines. It was shocking to find out that some people came here to work at dawn. When I was told that some people have been here and they have been trapped, I was shocked,” he said.

Meanwhile, the bodies of the deceased have been deposited at the Dunkwa-On-Offin Government Hospital. Two of the bodies, including Yaa Asantewaa’s son, have been identified.

Captain Smart Loses Court Case. Ordered To Pay One Million Ghana Cedis Or Go To Jail.

Popular Journalist Captain Smart has lost a court action brought against him by Professor Frimpong Boateng. The Accra Courts Ordered Captain Smart to pay one million Ghana Cedis defamation relief to the initiator of the case or risk going to jail for 30 Days.

According to the statement of the case, Captain Smart had accused Professor Frimpong Boateng for engaging himself in Illegal mining Popularly known as Galamsey.

He called him greedy and and a saboteur to the progress of the country. Captain Smart who published those offensive and derogatory words was given the chance to apologise which he arrogantly Refused.

According to sources, Captain Smart was of the view that, the case will not go anywhere. However, Professor Frimpong Boateng sued him. Captain Smart who now operates as a social media blogger couldn’t provide evidence to substantiate his claims.

35-year-old man in police custody for allegedly killing 50-year-old woman who refused to marry him

Police in Sawla in the Sawla Tuna Kalba District of the Savannah Region has arrested a 35-year-old farmer for allegedly murdering his 50-year-old cousin in a cold blood.

According to reports, the suspect, Kpeyiri Neiba, allegedly killed the victim, Janet Ansaaku, in a bush at Uro-Mekaa near Kalba after she refused to marry him.

Confirming the incident to JoyNews, the Acting Public Relations Officers of the Savannah Regional Command, Inspector Adjei Owusu, police at the Tuna Police Station, received a complaint about a murder incident that had occurred in a bush.

35-year-old man in police custody for allegedly killing 50-year-old woman who refused to marry him
The suspect, Kpeyiri Neiba

The police quickly proceeded to the scene of the crime to find the deceased lying in a prone position with a deep cut on her head in a pool of blood. She was dressed in a black skirt with a white top.

Inspector Owusu said that the body had been deposited at Sawla district hospital for autopsy and the suspect subsequently arrested.

During interrogation, the police indicated that the suspect “confessed to the crime stating that the deceased refused to marry him.”

35-year-old man in police custody for allegedly killing 50-year-old woman who refused to marry him

According to the police, a postmortem examination had already been performed on the corpse at the Sawla Tuna Kalba District Hospital and the body has been released to the bereaved family for burial.

Meanwhile, the Sawla Tuna Kalba Police Command, bemoaned the incident adding that the murder of the deceased brings the number of murder cases involving women by close relations in the enclave to four within six months.

Inspector Owusu therefore appealed to the local chiefs and opinion leaders to team up with police to weed out crime from their communities.

Tragedy As Man Kills Roommate, Sells His Body Parts To Pastor For RitualsCitymirrornewsMay 25, 2021Read original

The police in Bayelsa state has confirmed that a 34-year-old identified as Okpegboro Avwerosuo killed his roommate for money ritual.

The tragic incident happened in Sagbama Town, Sagbama Local Government Area, SALGA, of Bayelsa.

Mr Okpegboro was alleged to have sold the deceased’s vital organs to a pastor in Port Harcourt, who is currently at large, for ritual purposes.

Speaking on the matter, the Police Public Relations Officer, Asinim Butswat said that the suspect, who hails from Ugheli North Local Government Area of Delta, was being detained at the state Criminal Investigation Department (SCID) for further investigation.

He said that the name of the victim had yet to be known, according to a report by NAN.

According to a neighbour who pleaded anonymity, the suspect invited the deceased, his friend, to Sagbama to join the motorcycle riding business, assuring him that the business is flourishing in the town.

The boom in the transport business is because of patronage by students as the Isaac Jasper Adaka Boro College of Education, IJBCOE, is located the town.

NAN gathered that the deceased had spent barely two weeks in the town when Okpegboro struck him on the skull with a pestle in the night and killed him.

The neighbor further explained that “after killing him, he dismembered the body, preserved the vital organs and put the other parts in separate sacks which he disposed off in the early hours of the following day.’’

He said that while disposing the sacks, another neighbour who saw him and suspected his movement confronted him and demand to know the whereabouts of his roommate.

“The suspect claimed that the deceased has travelled back to Delta State for an urgent business. Not satisfied with his response, the neighbour forced his way into the room and saw blood stains everywhere.

“The neighbour held him down and alerted the local vigilante which eventually called the police in to arrest the suspect.

“Upon interrogation before he was handed over to the police, the suspect confessed that he had sold the vital organs of his friend to a pastor in Port Harcourt, who is currently at large for ritual purposes,’’ he explained.

The President of SALGA Federated Youth Council Worldwide, Mr Preye Casey, in a statement, condemned the killing of the young man.

Casey urged the youth of Sagbama to be on alert to checkmate the activities of non-indigenes in the town as security tension continued to rise across the country.

“Just yesterday, the decomposing body of a young man was discovered in the bush with several parts of the body already butchered into pieces and placed in sack bags.

“The Nigeria Police, Sagbama Division, was alerted and it led to the arrest of a young man in Sagbama Federated Community, suspected to have been the perpetrator of the ungodly act.’’

He condemned the act and called on Sagbama youths to be vigilant as they went about their normal activities, especially in the wake of the rising insecurity level in the country.